Are you finally buckling down on your spring cleaning now that summer’s here, and getting your closet in order? Most of us think that when we redo a closet, we need to maximize our hanging space. Hanging up clothes makes finding them easy and also protects the clothing from wrinkling. While having hanging space is important, it is just as important to make sure that drawers can be incorporated into your closet space, whether you have a reach-in or a walk-in closet.
Drawers provide space for items that should be folded to be put away. So you can better decide on the type of closet space you need, here are items that should be hung and items that do better when folded.
What to Hang
Some items absolutely must be hung up as they will wrinkle or become misshapen if folded. These items include:
- Blazers, jackets, and overcoats. When hanging these items, it is important to make sure that there is plenty of space below them, so they can hang freely. Also, it is a good idea to use thicker hangers so that the shoulders do not become misshapen.
- Dresses and skirts. Dresses and skirts tend to wrinkle easily, so you want to be sure to hang them up to keep them in top shape. The only exception to this is if the skirt or dress is made from exceptionally heavy fabric or has very heavy embellishments. These should be folded, as the weight from them may misshape them if they are hung.
- Dress pants and trousers. Use pant hangers or a thick hanger you can hang the pants over when folded in half. This will help to prevent creasing at the fold so you can easily pull them out and put them on with no ironing needed.
What to Fold
- Casual pants. Pants such as jeans can be stored folded, since they do not wrinkle easily.
- Sweaters. Sweaters are heavy, so hanging them up can cause them to become misshapen.
- T-Shirts. T-shirts get stretched easily when hung, so it is best to store them folded.
- Undergarments. Your bras and underwear can be folded instead of hung. The exception to this is nightgowns, which you may want to hang if they are made of silk or silk-like material.
Need a custom closet designed, so you can perfectly organize your space? Our professionals can help you!
We are ready to help you design your dream closet. Call us today at 561-241-3834 to set up an appointment for a custom closet in Boca Raton today.